Doggone Dogs!

Yesterday was an extremely windy day here in the Dallas/Fort Worth Metroplex, with wind gusts reaching 50 miles per hour. I’m in a bit of a panic right now because our two dogs are missing from our backyard. We decided to adopt a shelter dog rather than buying a dog through a dog breeder or pet store, and we’ve loved our dogs as though they were our own children.

Yesterday I arrived home to find our back gate propped open, and the locked latch still attached to the gate, except for the fact that the entire latch system was dangling off the hinges.

We have two Labs, one chocolate and one yellow, and they’re both gone. My husband and I drove around the neighborhood last night for a couple of hours before it got too dark to see, but never found them. I hoped someone would call us last night saying they had our dogs and found our phone number on the dog tags, but nothing yet.

It’s really hard to concentrate on writing something worth my reader’s time, but right now I’m simply beside myself with worry if we’ll ever see our dogs again.

We’ve called the local dog pound and have no dogs fitting the description of our dogs. We’ve put up some “Lost Dogs” signs around the neighborhood, so hopefully someone will have found our dogs and will return them. I’m worried someone will like our sweet doggies so much that they’ll keep them for themselves. Cry

UPDATE: Both dogs have been found, safe and sound at a dog boarding location near us, and are back home with us. We got a phone call from the dog boarding saying they have our dogs, that they were both fine and not harmed, and we could pick them up immediately. I don’t know who was more excited, us or the dogs. Whew! We are soooo relieved! I sure wish there were puppy insurance to cover situations such as this.

Update: I’ve just been told to check out Tesco Pet Insurance and see what they offer in really good pet insurance.

8 Responses to “Doggone Dogs!”

1. abunslife says:

This is the 4th or 5th post I have read today about someone’s dog and after I wrote about my one of my dogs as well! I am so sorry to hear about your pups. It just makes me so sick with worry every time my dogs get out and are MIA. I really really hope they find their way home to you all….will you please let us know? hugs to you.

abunslife’s last blog post..Ode to the P.I.T.A.

I will definitely give an update as soon as we know more. I just hope it’ll be good news.

3. Momo Fali says:

Oh, I so hope you get them back soon! Our yellow lab did that a few years ago, and the temperature was about 5 degrees, with snow and howling wind. I was worried sick. She jumped the fence when we let her out around midnight, so I was up all night, pacing the house while the kids slept and my husband drove around looking for her. I put up signs the next morning and the woman who had found our dog (at about 12:05 AM) called us and told us she was at the shelter. It was a huge relief that she hadn’t been in the cold all night somewhere. I hope you get the same good news!

Momo Fali’s last blog post..Fairy Tale Lost

MomoFali,

Thank you for the good wishes. I have now posted an update that both dogs are now home with us, safe and sound. We got a call from the Dog Pound saying they have our dogs and they were fine, and we could go pick them up immediately. Whew! I’m sooooo relieved. My hubby has had the yellow lab “Toby” since he was just weeks old, and we’ve had the chocolate lab “Coco” for two years now, since she was eight weeks old. They are our children now that our kids are grown. We also have a little Chihuahua that stays inside. Three dogs and we wouldn’t want to ever be without them! 🙂

5. Jared says:

Glad you got your dog’s back! I was down in the DFW area the past two days for work, and the wind was off the hook! Later!

Jared’s last blog post..Looking Forward

6. Flo says:

Thank God your pups are home safe. My heart was in my throat reading your post and I was very glad to see the update. The thought of losing my dogs – no!no!no! – don’t even think that. One of mine is a lab 🙂

7. Todd morris says:

Hi Lin,

Glad to hear that you were able to find your dogs. And I’m sure they were happy too … bet what started out as an adventure didn’t quite turn out like they’d planned … at the pound. 🙂

Todd morris’s last blog post..Writers Wanted for New Community Blog

Todd, it was pretty funny when I got to the pound to pick them up. For a few minutes, they were all hyper and excited to see me. Then a few minutes later my husband arrived to help get them home and both dogs were fast asleep, and barely moved when he tapped on the glass enclosure. They must have had a grand ol time while running the neighborhood.