My Daughter’s Prom Night

Baby Girl You may recall my recent post where I talked about my daughter’s upcoming prom, and the various prom safety tips that I believe are extremely important for parents to discuss with their graduating seniors. Well my daughter’s prom came and went already, and I’m happy to say that all went well, and she arrived home exhausted from a wonderful night of dancing with her senior classmates. Wasn’t she an adorable looking baby? She’s all grown up now and about to head off to college. I feel so old now. πŸ˜‰

One thing that didn’t turn out so well was how my daughter’s prom date flaked out at the last minute, but my daughter took it in stride and still had a great time at her prom. This l.o.s.e.r. was of the opinion that he was “doing her a favor” by going to the prom with my daughter, and that she was expected to buy him “a new set of earrings” as a way of paying him back. Oh really?! My response to that had an R-rating for sure, so I’ll not repeat here what I said about that, but his ears are probably still ringing from the tongue lashing he got.

She’s my baby girl and she’ll always be my baby girl until she turns 82 years old. Throughout prom night, she kept text messaging me to tell me she was dancing to “old school music” such as my many Motown favorites, and she ended up with sore feet as proof that “old school” music can still rock the dance floor. Wait a minute, did she just call me old? πŸ™‚

Once she graduates, she’ll be going off to college to become a famous Music Producer. I get to be the first to say, “I knew you when”! She’s got a lot of musical talent, and plays a few different instruments, and makes up her own “beats” that inevitably cause your foot to start tapping. Yes of course I take full credit for her musical talents. πŸ˜‰

All in all, she had a wonderful and safe senior prom, and I’m so proud of her and her many accomplishments. Here she is standing in front of the party room at Southfork Ranch (where the OLD television show “Dallas” was filmed).

Baby Girl’s Senior Prom went off without a hitch. She’s actually glad she went to prom by herself and met up with other friends, ’cause she had a blast and she’ll never forget the fun she had on prom night. It was difficult at first to come up any graduation gift ideas on my own, but she’s been reminding me (over and over) about the various graduation gifts she’s got on her graduation wish-list. I think she definitely deserves something nice, don’t you?

Prom Safety Tips For Graduating Senior and Parents

21 Responses to “My Daughter’s Prom Night”

Thanks Lightening! She is a good girl for sure, and I got all weepy-eyed when she came down the stairs in her gown. snif… My little girl is all grown up, or at least mostly grown. πŸ™‚

2. Karen Swim says:

Lin, my heart swelled with pride for you. You have obviously raised a beautiful, smart young woman who will undoubtedly take the world by storm. I didn’t have a a date to prom so missed out on that high school rite of passage. I wish I would have listened to my Mom who encouraged me to go and have fun but I was just not that confident at 17. Good for your daughter for not letting the loser destroy her special night.

Hi Karen, my daughter is very outgoing and not at all shy or nervous about going places on her own, especially when she knew she had school friends that were going solo as well. I didn’t get to go to prom when I was her age, so I felt it was so important for her to enjoy prom even without a date.

4. Hi Lin,

Congratulations on raising a great daughter … your pride is obvious in your writing. I’m glad to hear she had a good time, even though the guy was a flake. I’ve still got a couple more years until my girls hit prom age … looking forward to it … sort of. πŸ˜‰

Catch up with you again soon,
    Todd

Hi Todd, it’s odd how fast they grow up. I still remember very vividly when each of my kids were born and as toddlers, and to realize they are all grown up now (my oldest is 28 for pete’s sake), it really makes ya appreciate all those years of raising them.

6. Rudy says:

She’s looking good! You still have a picture of your prom, Lin? πŸ™‚

And here I am, right now, planning for my daughter’s 3rd year birthday.

Hi Rudy, no I don’t have a picture of me at prom. I didn’t get to go to prom (parents didn’t believe in those sort of things..darn it), but I’m so glad my baby girl got to go to hers. πŸ™‚

8. Kim says:

Your daughter is a beautiful girl. That dress is stunning on her.. and good for her for showing that loser that he indeed that.

You must be very very proud.

Hi Kim, thank you! I’ll be sure to tell her you said that. πŸ™‚

I am most definitely very proud of her and her accomplishments, and I’m confident that she will go very far in her career choice.

10. Josh says:

Hey there – glad your daughter had a good time despite the “l.o.o.s.e.r.”. This is a really good blog article for kids getting ready for prom. I would love to use it on our site, or link it in our blog. Would you mind? Oh, and your little girl is absolutely beautiful, and the dude was obviously retarded.

Hi Josh! Thank you, I appreciate that very much.

You are welcome to link to it from your blog with the keyword text “Prom 2009” as the link, if you don’t mind.

P.S. I just followed you on Twitter. πŸ™‚