How You Can Help Hurricane Ike Evacuees

Hurricane Ike has hit the Texas and Louisiana coastline with damage estimated into the billions of dollars. Local government agencies have released guidelines on how you can help Hurricane Ike evacuees relocating to North Texas and other locations seeking shelter from the hurricane.

Dallas and Fort Worth officials are asking that people interested in helping evacuees register to volunteer through the Volunteer Center of North Texas by calling 866-797-8268 or by registering on their website. The Volunteer Center says they need 400 people to volunteer on Monday.

Donations of money can be made to the North Texas Food Bank but they do not need food donations at this time.

The Salvation Army says monetary donations are needed to help fund expenses related to providing disaster relief for Hurricane Gustav evacuees and Hurricane Ike. Donations may be made by calling (800) SAL-ARMY or going to their website, but donated goods are not needed for the relief effort at this time.

Local Texas residents are asked not to drop donations at the Dallas Convention Center shelter location, and are being asked to not come to the Convention Center to offer volunteer assistance.

Donations of money can also be made to the Red Cross at http://www.redcross.org or by calling 1-800-RED-CROSS.

A special note from the Red Cross urges people to help with monetary donations:

“As the Red Cross continues helping individuals and families battered by the 2008 storms and hurricanes, a national fundraising campaign has been launched to raise an initial $100 million to fill a Disaster Relief Fund depleted after an active year of disasters.  The Disaster Relief Fund allows the Red Cross to provide emergency assistance to help victims of disasters meet their immediate needs for food, shelter, counseling and other critical services.

You can help the victims of thousands of disasters across the country each year, disasters like the Hurricanes of 2008, by making a financial gift to the American Red Cross Disaster Relief Fund.  You can log-on to www.redcross.org or call 1-800-RED-CROSS (1-800-733-2767) or 1-800-257-7575 (Spanish) to make a donation.  You can also use your cell phone to donate $5 to the American Red Cross Disaster Relief Fund by text messaging the keyword “GIVE” to “2HELP” (24357). You can send multiple donations depending on your carrier. Contributions will appear on monthly bills or be debited from a prepaid account balance. All applicable text rates apply.”

Update: Hurricane Ike Evacuees – How to Get Assistance:

If you or your loved ones are in the potentially affected areas, register yourself on the Red Cross Safe and Well Website at http://www.redcross.org, or call a loved one and ask them to register you. The Red Cross provides this online tool to help families and individuals notify loved ones that they are safe during an emergency, which can help bring peace of mind in challenging times.

The Safe and Well website is easy to use:

1. Visit http://www.redcross.org, and click on the Safe and Well link
  2. If you are currently being affected by these disasters, click: “List Myself as Safe and Well,” enter your pre-disaster address and phone number, and select any of the standard message options
  3. If you are concerned about a loved one, click “Search” and enter the person’s name and pre-disaster phone number or address. If they have registered, you will be able to view the messages that they posted
  4. If you don’t have internet access, you can call 1-800-RED-CROSS (1-800- 733-2767) to register yourself and your family. Follow the prompts for disaster information.

Related Post:

How You Can Help Hurricane Gustav Evacuees

7 Responses to “How You Can Help Hurricane Ike Evacuees”

1. T E macdonald says:

I worked for the American Red Cross a few years ago. I saw shady things going on and the attitude of certain official people there shocked me. As far as all this so called help they are asking for in the form of money to replace what they have put out this year.. what a load of crap!
    They have not put any cash into the hands of needy families who return home after evacuation and spending their own money to leave Texas. FEMA is a joke to the evacuee that didnt have home damage. Official evacuee announcements urge people to go, well.. I went both times.. Gustav and IKe, blew my bill money, now my landlord is kicking me out! My electric bill is due, gas water and garbage… no monetary help from Our State Officials.. thanks goes out to president bush, fema and red cross.. I guess all our monetary relief is used to help La. or overseas in a war. PEOPLE ARE SICK OF OUR GOVERNMENT. WE THE PEOPLE SHOULD STAND UP AND DEMAND RELEIF FOR OURSELVES AND STOP FILLING THE BANKS AND POCKETS OF EVERYONE ELSE.
    WHAT ABOUT THE POORMAN/WOMAN.. YOU WANNA IMPRESS ME WITH RELIEF.. GIVE IT TO US EVERY DANG DAY THAT WE NEED IT.. NOT JUST WHEN A NATURAL DISASTER HITS… GET THOSE AMERICAN SOLDIERS HOME AND SPEND SOME MONEY ON THE US! ONCE AGAIN… HURRICANE IKE OPENED OUR EYES… GOV. IN THE US IS NOT RAN BY COMPASSIONATE FOLKS.. ITS RAN BY FOLKS WHO WILL NEVER BE IN NEED AS LONG AS THEY WORK IN WASHINGTON AND GET FREE VACATIONS AND TRIPS.. AND DINNERS..WHAT A LIFE.. AMERICAN DREAMERS.. WAKE UP!! VOTE.. NO PRESIDENT!!!

T.E, I was under the impression (from others I’ve heard from by email) that evacuees have been seeing quite a bit of the money, but I’m not sure where they are located or who is giving and getting the money.

I’m very sorry that you’re experiencing so much trouble and problems; this should not be the case. I agree, FEMA is worthless and there is much improvement needed to ensure money donations are being used to help evacuees and not going into the pockets of workers or officials. Argh!

3. T E macdonald says:

FEDERAL EMERGENCY AID IS A JOKE TO MANY

OK.. THANKYOU FOR YOUR RESPONCE TO MY VENTING ON FEMA, RED CROSS AND BUSH OUR PRESIDENT.

HERES AN UPDATE FROM FROM THIS END.

I THANK GOD FOR ALL AMERICANS WHO VOLUNTEER FOR STORM RELIEF. I ONCE WAS A VOLUNTEER PAID 1000.00 A MONTH BY THE RED CROSS . I HAVE NO IDEA WHO IS GETTING PAID IN THIS SITUATION NOR DO I KNOW WHERE ALL THESE SO CALLED RAISED FUNDS ARE GOING OR WHO IS GETTING THEM IN THE PUBLIC SECTOR, ALL I KNOW IS .. WHEN YOU CALL THE RED CROSS YOU GET.. SORRY NO MONEY.. AND FEMA SEND OUT AN APPLICATION BY MAIL AND THERE IS NOWHERE TO FILE FOR LOSS FUNDS DUE TO EVACUATION..ONLY IF YOU HAVE DAMAGES TO YOUR HOME OR BUSINESS, CAR OR TRUCK. THEY WANT YOUR INSURANCE INFO. MY SON WAS TOLD, BY A WOMAN WHO WORKED FOR FEMA, IF YOU HAVE 2 CARS .. YOU CAN ONLY GET HELP FOR ONE? THEY WILL NOT PAY FOR YOUR LOSSES IN EVACUATION LIKE THEY DID FOR RITA… I STOOD IN LINE AT THE FEMA FEEDING TENT AND WAS SHOCKED BY WHAT THEY WERE FEEDING PEOPLE. THE VOLUNTEERS MUST HAVE BEEN TOLD TO JUST GIVE A SPOONFULL, CAUSE THATS ALL YOU GOT OF RICE AND 1/2 SPOON GRAVY HALF A PEICE OF MEAT, IF ANY AND MAYBE SOME VEG. NO BREAD, NO FRESH VEG OR FRUIT! THIS IS AMERICA!!
    WE HAVE PLENTY OF FOOD AND PLENTY OF FRESH VEG AND FRUIT.. WHY THE LACK OF DURING A DISASTER? ARE THEY AFRAID TO SPEND SOME OF THOSE DONATIONS? MY FOOD LOOKED LIKE THROUGH-UP! I DID ENJOY STANDING FOR AN HOUR IN THE SUN AND THEN FINALLY REACH MY WONDERFUL, SOFT DRINK THEY WERE OFFERING.. THANKS FEMA! THE LOCAL RED CROSS DRIVES AROUND IN THEIR BIG OL NEW-EXSPENSIVE TRUCK BUT THEY HAVE YET TO EVEN STOP BY MY HOME AND ASK.. DO YOU NEED ANYTHING TO EAT OR DRINK?OOOH! WAIT.. I THINK THEY HAVE A FEEDING STATION SET UP IN VARIOUS LOCATIONS, EVERYDAY.. THEY CHANGE IT .. AS IF WE ARE NOT ALREADY CONFUSED AND HAVE GAS MONEY TO DRIVE ALL OVER THE DAMN PLACE!
    THANKS RED CROSS.. NOW BUSH.. I CANT LEAVE YOU OUT… I REMEMBER WHEN BUSH CONGRATUALTED HIMSELF AND FEMA FOR BEING PREPARED FOR IKE!! THEY WERE READY THIS TIME.. THEY HAD THEIR PLAN OF NO RELEIF BY WAYS OF CHECKS TO EVACUEES, NO MONEY AT ALL EXCEPT IF YOU GO THROUGH A LONG DRAWN OUT PROCESS AND YOUR HOME IS DAMAGED. POOR PEOPLE WHO TOOK THE CHANCE BY EVACUATING A SECOND TIME.. WITH THEIR OWN CARS AND MONEY.. THANKS BUSH.. YOU WERE PREPARED… NOT TO HELP THE POOR AS USUALL!

IF YOU LOOK AT ALL THIS IS MESS UNDER A MICRO-SCOPE… YOU WILL… SEE.. AMERICA HAS BECOME UNSTABLE IN EMERGENCY EFFORTS AND IT SEEMS EVERY THREAD OF OUR FLAG IS UNRAVELING!.. WHAT IF WE REALLY HAD A HUGE DISASTER.. A WAR?? WILL THEY BE PREPARED?? A WAR ON THIS NATION IN OUR OWN COUNTRY WOULD BE THE BIGGEST LOSS WE HAVE EVER HAD TO FACE IN MY LIFETIME.. ALL OUR HELP IS ALLOWCATED TO OVERSEAS.. AND AMERICANS WILL SUFFER GREATLY.. ONCE AGAIN.. IM DISGUSTED WITH RELEIF EFFORTS.. VOTE.. NO PRESIDENT.. THANKS BUT NO THANKS !

4. amber says:

ALL I HAVE TO SAY IS I KNOW HOW YOU FEEL. I’VE NEVER IN MY 34 YEARS OF LIFE EXPERICENCED THE DEVASTATION OF A PERSONAL ECONOMIC CRISIS IN SUCH A SHORT AMOUNT OF TIME AS I HAVE SINCE I EVACUATED FOR GUSTAV AND IKE. I LIVED IN BEAUMONT,TX FOR 9 MONTHS MOVING FROM LOS ANGELES CALIFORNIA. DURING THE EVACUATION THE MAJORITY OF MY MONEY WENT ON GAS, FOOD AND LODGING DURING IKE ALONE WHICH I WAS GONE FOR 3 WEEKS. THE LAST WEEK I SPENT IN FT WORTH ( THE ONLY AREA I COULD FIND TO ACCOMADATE MY FAMILY, ROOMS WERE BOOKED RIGHT AFTER FEMA DECLARED THEY WERE PAYING FOR LODGING) IN A HOTEL PAID FOR BY FEMA ( FEMA DIDNT PAY FOR MY ROOM U NITL THE LAST 10 DAYS OF MY EVACUATION STATING THEY COULDNT CONFIRM MY RESIDENCE IN THEIR SYSTEM SO I HAD TO FAX MY LEASE THANK GOD I BROUGHT IT WITH ME AND WAITED A WEEK FOR APPORVAL WHILE STAYING AT A RED CROSS IN JACKSONVILLE, TX THAT WAS HIT BY IKE AS WELL), DUE TO NOT HAVING THE MONEY TO RETURN HOME UNTIL I WAS GIVEN THE NUMBER TO CATHOLIC CHARITIES WHO PROVIDED ME A 75.00 GAS CARD TO RETURN HOME. AS FAR AS LIVING PAYCHECK TO PAYCHECK GOES…I KNOW ALL ABOUT IT. I WAS FIRED FROM A JOB 9-8-08 HIRED AT A NEW JOB 9-10-08 EVACUATED FOR IKE 9-11-08 RETURNED HOME9-29-08. MY CARS TRANSMISSION WENT OUT ON ME THE SAME DAY I RETURNED ( THANK GOD FOR GETTING ME HOME) DUE TO WATER BEING IN THE TRANSMISSION WHICH I RECEIVED A WRITTEN ESTIMATE OF 2,068 DOLLARS TO REBUID IT, FAXED IT TO FEMAS OTHER NEEDS ASSISTANCE DEPARTMENT ON 10-03-08 AS DIRECTED BY FEMA STATE OF TX REPRESENTATIVE, RECEIVED A THREE DAY EVICTION ON 10-11-08 AND AGAIN ON 8-14-08 WHEN MY LANDLORD TOLD ME TO LEAVE BY 10-17-08 TO AVOID HAVING AN EVICTION ON MY CREDIT. THE JOB ID BEEN OFFERED WAS NO LONGER AN INCOME OPTION DUE TO NOT HAVING THE TRANSPORTATION AVAILABLE TO ME TO USE DUE TO THE STORM. THERE IS NO RENTAL ASSISTANCE AVAILABLE TO ME BECAUSE I DIDNT HAVE DAMAGE TO MY APARTMENT. SO TO AVOID BEING HOMELESS WITH MY THREE CHILDREN I BORROWED 300.00 FROM A FEW FRIENDS ( VERY HARD TO ASK FOR HELP FROM PEOPLE JUST AS POOR AS I) RENTED A TRUCK WITH A HITCH FROM BUDGET TO GET MY BELONGINGS AND MY CAR BACK TO THE HOTEL IN FT WORTH WHICH I REALLY WAS NOT SUPPOSED TO SINCE I’D CHECKED OUT TWO AND A HALF WEEK PRIOR. DURING MY SECOND DAY BACK AT THE HOTEL FEMA REFUSED TO PAY FOR THE ROOM STATING I SHOULD NEVER HAVE LEFT. I CRIED AND BEGGED THE REP ON THE PHONE AND SHE WAS COLD AND COULD CARE LESS ABOUT MY HOMELESS SITUATION. I ASKED TO SPEAK WITH A SUPERVISOR WHO THEN TOLD ME THE SAME AS THE FIRST REP. SHE ADVISED ME TO CALL A FEMA HOTLINE FOR ATTORNEYS ABOUT MY UNFAIR EVICTION, THEN SHE SCHEDULED TO HAVE A FEMA INSPECTOR COME TO MY HOME ON 10/22/08. BY 10/24/08 TODAY MY FEMA ACCOUNT ONLINE SHOWS I AM NOT ELIGIBLE FOR RENTERS ASSISTANCE DUE TO INSUFFICIENT DAMAGE TO PROPERTY. WHAT ABOUT THE DAMAGE TO MY POCKET BOOK! SO ITS EITHER I STAY AND SIT THROUGH A CATAGORY 3 HURRICANE TO AVOID SPENDING MY LAST 425.00 PAYCHECK ON OVER PRICED GAS TO GET MYSELF AND MY CHILDREN OUT OF HARMS WAY? AND WHY WOULD ANYONE WANT TO LIVE IN A HURRICANE ZONE AFTER REALIZING THERE IS NO FINANCIAL ASSISTANCE WITH RENT AND BILLS TO HELP PAY CHECK TO PAYCHECK FOLK SURVIVE! I DONT HAVE 20.00 TO SAVE IN A MONTH. FOOD DAYCARE RENT BILLS CLOTHING MISC HOUSEHOLD ITEMS FOR CLEANING AND HYGIENE EAT IT AWAY. I FEEL LIKE IF THE STATE OF TEXAS CAN CALL MANDATORY EVACUATIONS THEN THE STATE OF TEXAS SHOULD PAY THE ALL THE EXPENSES OF THE EVACUATION BASED ON INDIVIDUAL FAMILY NEEDS. BUT THATS TOO MUCH LIKE RIGHT. WE HAVE TO BEG, LYE, AND SUFFER. iM NOT ASKING FOR A HANDOUT AS SO MANY ASSHOLES CALL IT…IM JUST ASKING FOR MY LIFE TO BE BACK THE WAY IT WAS PRIOR TO THE STORM. I HAD A BEAUTIFUL APARTMENT,I WAS EXPECTING WORK TO PAY MY RENT AND BILLS, A GOOD RUNNING CAR TO GET ME BACK AND FORTH TO WORK, SIMPLE AS THAT! I CANT BECOME A MILLIONAIRE OFF THE LITTLE BIT OF ASSISTANCE IM REQUESTING FIX MY CAR PAY MY RENT A BILLS ONE MONTH AT LEAST TO GET ME BACK ON TRACK. NOW AS OF 10-27-08 THE ROOM WILL NO LONGER BE PAID BY FEMA AND MY CHILDREN AND I WILL BE ON THE STREETS SLEEPING IN A CAR THAT DOESNT WORK AS SHELTER. IM IN ARLINGTON TX IVE BEEN LOOKING FOR WORK WITHIN WALKING DISTANCE. I HAVE 300.00 IN FOOD STAMPS SO WE ARE EATING AND FOR THAT I AM GREATFUL.

5. amber says:

OH AND AS FAR AS THE FAX VERIFYING THE WATER DAMAGE IN MY TRANSMISSION…FEMAS OTHER NEEDS ASSISTANCE PROGRAM IS STATING THEY STILL HAVE NOT RECEIVED MY PROOF WHICH WAS FAXED ( DRIVER LICENCES, TITLE, INSURANCE CARD AND ESTIMATE) ON 10/3/08. AGAIN IM NOT ASKING FOR A HAND OUT… THE GOVERNMENT SHOULD AT LEAST MAKE SURE FAMILIES DONT TAKE FINANCIAL LOSSES NOT JUST PROPERTY LOSSES. GOD WILL PROVIDE AND THATS WHAT I HAVE TO REMAIN FAITHFUL IN BELIEVING…JUST WANTED TO SHARE MY SITUATION.

Amber, I just don’t know what to say. It’s appalling on every level that hurricane evacuees are not getting the needed help for even the most basic of needs, and especially the help needed to go back home and get on with their lives. Bureaucratic red tape continues to be a major problem within government programs that are intended to help people, but it doesn’t seem that help can actually be gotten as long as there is a political brick wall standing in the way of people getting the needed help. You’re right, God will provide. He always does. And at least He doesn’t have anyone standing in his way. Hang in there Amber.

1. […] you consider the large number of evacuees affected by Hurricane Gustav, followed by Hurricane Ike along the U.S. Gulf, along with the nearly 13 million U.S. children and low-income families living […]