Walmart Black Friday Deaths – Walmart Employee Trampled to Death

Walmart Black Friday DeathsIn Long Island, New York, a 34-year-old WalMart employee of the Valley Stream store was trampled to death by 200 crazed stampeding shoppers during today’s Black Friday rush, as they rushed into the store at 5:00 am, “took the doors off the hinges,” injuring three other people in the stampede in order to cash in on special Black Friday deals.

A Nassau County police spokesman says it was “utter chaos.” One woman said shoppers were acting like “savages.” Other witnesses say even as the man lay gasping for air on the ground, shoppers streamed into the store, stepping over him and went on with their shopping spree.

Police say dozens of store employees who tried to help the man were also trampled by the crowd. “He was bum-rushed by 200 people, said co-worker Jimmy Overby. “He was trampled and killed in front of me. They took me down too…I literally had to fight people off my back.”

A 28-year-old pregnant woman was knocked to the floor during the crazed Black Friday rush, but police report both mother and baby are doing fine despite early accounts that the woman had miscarried. She was hospitalized for observation, police said.

As emergency crews worked feverishly to save the unidentified store employee’s life, frenzied shoppers streamed right on past until police shut down the store. “They were working on him, but you could see he was dead. People were still coming through”. Only a few shoppers stopped.

This is just one of many reasons why I never venture out on Black Friday. There are many Black Friday online deals that don’t require risking your life by crazed lunatics such as occurred today at Walmart.

[Image credit: Daily News]

16 Responses to “Walmart Black Friday Deaths – Walmart Employee Trampled to Death”

1. Andrew says:

I have to agree with Tammy on this one. This is a very sad sign of where many of us are right now as a society. This thread should be discussing possible reasons or solutions to such an event, not celebrating a good buy. The spirit of christmas takes yet another hit.

Andrew, I would have thought by now that retail stores would have learned valuable lessons over the years of so many of these type situations have taken place. It seems so elementary at least to me personally that stores would have created kindergarten-like lines outside the doors, and only allowed a few people in at a time rather than simply opening the doors to everyone at once.

In many businesses and corporations we often find ourselves having to walk around barriers in single file (such as in a check cashing place) in order to get to the window for help of some kind. Why hasn’t such a barrier been set up outside of stores, especially during well known heavy traffic days such as Black Friday? I even find these barriers or corded-off areas in movie theaters during very busy times, so why hasn’t such a system been put into place for busy shopping days? I just don’t understand it.

Then again, as far as responses to readers who express pleasure at finding a great deal, I do feel a sense of obligation to tell them congrats despite the fact that this particular post is about a tragedy. It is not intended to appear callous in any way, and I’m sorry if it appears that way to anyone. I cannot possibly respond to each person in a way that makes everyone comfortable.

3. Tammy M. says:

I don’t think Walmart will do much… A few years ago in Humble, Texas I was shopping at Wal-Mart’s Black Friday sale and I was literally “Dog Piled” on…. over a computer. Walmart did nothing to help me even though I was screaming for help. They refused to let me see the tape and then they told me that the camera wasn’t working therefore, there wasn’t a tape. They denied paying for my medical bills. My back was seriously injured because so many people jumped on top of me and my son….I was at the bottom of the pile… on top of the LAST $399.00 computer. Where was security or even an employee to assist me and my son? I was screaming as loud as I could for help. My medical bills cost me much more than the computer… The sale wasn’t worth it. I don’t shop at Walmart on Black Friday anymore.

I hope and pray things change after all of this that happened this year…. No one should have to “DIE” for a SALE!!!!! If our government can bail out the Mortgage companies certainly they can pass some laws to prevent this from ever happening again… I think the stores should have minimum of 500 of the sale items and provide a rain check for when they run out of the item. This would prevent all of this chaos.

Hi Tammy, it’s really a shame that Walmart and other stores haven’t clued in. It’s awful that you and others have been put through such things just trying to do some shopping, and especially the fact that people are dying in the process of shopping. It’s appalling to say the least, and as much as I wish stores of all sizes would actually DO something about it to prevent it from ever happening again, I doubt anything will be done.

5. John says:

It’s absolutely absurd to think that this happened. All over saving a few bucks on poorly made products. I actually came across this story when someone posted the video of the paramedics attempting to bring him back to life! After reading the story and all that I find it absolutely appalling what happened.

Hi John, thanks for stopping by. Just today to learned that the family of this man has filed a lawsuit against Walmart. What a terrible time for the entire family and their friends and loved ones.