valentines-day-gift-ideas Valentine’s Day is right around the corner, and with Valentines comes flowers, “Happy Valentine’s Day cards”, Valentine’s heart candy, chocolates, Chocolate Baskets, leather, gold and diamonds on February 14, just to name a few. As much as I enjoy receiving Valentine’s Day flowers on Valentine’s and other special occasions, I’m hoping for a couple unusual Valentines Day gifts this year.

Making Valentine’s Day special simply requires putting some thought into what Valentine’s Day gift your special someone would enjoy and what he or she likes, and carefully choosing a Valentine’s Day gift for him or her, rather than just grabbing something off the store shelves. Valentine’s Day is for lovers, dating couples and spouses, but children also enjoy getting in on the fun of Valentine’s Day at school and at home with their families, handing out gifts of Valentine’s Day hearts, cards, candy and/or chocolate treats.

Valentine’s Day roses are always nice, but roses are so cliché and often more expensive as a Valentine’s day gift than any other day in the year. Some companies offer nice discounts and sales on flower arrangements, so Valentines Day orchids may be a viable Valentine option for the flower lover in your life.

I’m a pure romantic through and through, so romantic Valentine’s Day gifts mean the most to me. A romantic dinner for two, with candlelight and soft romantic music in an elegant restaurant with a piano bar, followed by slow dancing to romantic music really sets the mood for the entire evening.

A few of my favorite Valentine’s Day gifts include Cookie Baskets, Chocolate Baskets, Romantic Flowers rather than just a bouquet of Roses (yawn..), and especially beautiful fine jewelry from Finejewelers.com from my brilliant and romantic husband.

BlueMountain.com - Send Valentine's Day Ecards!
Full-figured women may enjoy plus size leather lingerie for Valentine’s Day, and don’t forget the woman who loves charms and jewelry such as gold tennis bracelets for Valentine’s Day. “Diamonds are a girl’s best friend” as the saying goes, so my Valentine’s Day wish list includes diamond tennis bracelets since I don’t have very many jewelry items in my jewelry box to wear on Valentine’s Day or any other day.

Concert tickets are always a favorite, and I’m anxiously awaiting our Bruce Springsteen tickets to arrive since Bruce tickets and the new Kindle 2 from Amazon are at the top of my Valentine’s Day gift list this year. My man knows what I like, so finding a Valentine gift for moms like me is very easy, and finding a gift for him to let him know how much he’s loved isn’t hard for me either.

Valentine’s Day gifts for men, especially the hard to buy for men who have everything, can be a challenge. Gift baskets for men or women are a unique Valentine’s Day gift idea and reasonably priced. Very cheap Valentine’s Day gifts may include a handwritten card, love letter, a favorite music cd, or a book by a favorite author as a gift for him or her.

Do you have plans for Valentine’s Day yet? What Valentine’s Day gift will you be giving your significant other for Valentine’s Day 2009? Feel free to add your Valentine’s Day gift ideas in the comment section below, from the cheap to the extravagant, to help each other come up with more gift ideas for Valentine’s Day.

Send FREE Valentine's Day ecards!

19 Responses to “Valentine’s Day Gift Ideas: Valentine Flowers, Candy, Chocolate, Leather, Gold and Diamonds”

1. Todd Morris says:

Hi Lin,

Ana was looking over my shoulder as I read this post. She said that I have her, so that should be enough of a Valentines present for me. And as for her gift, she’s still got 10 days, says she’s sure she’ll find something between now and then … I’ll find out what I got her after she buys it 🙂

My marriage doesn’t seem to be very “romantic” at the moment. But you gotta admit, the fact that Ana is happy sure does make my situation pretty “guy friendly”.

Keep havin FuN!
    Todd

Hi Todd (and Ana),

Hmm, “my marriage doesn’t seem to be very romantic at the moment” doesn’t sound very good, and I hope everything is alright with you two. Ana’s gonna buy her own Valentine’s Day gift? Keeping the fire and romance alive in a marriage can be challenging, especially after many years of marriage, but since I’ve always been a romantic fool all my life and the dear hubby enjoys romance just as much as I do, those romantic dates for two all by ourselves are a very special treat for Valentine’s Day and throughout the year.

• Todd Morris says:

Hi Lin,

lol, oh no, I didn’t mean for that to come off like there’s any trouble in paradise. We are quite happy, thank you. We have our own style of romance I guess you could say. And as far as a Valentines day present goes, of course I’ll get her something … but that doesn’t mean she isn’t also going to to get herself something too 😀

Todd

Whew, you really had me going there for a bit Todd. I must admit to occasionally buying myself a Valentine’s day gift for myself, so I can’t really blame Ana for doing the same. 🙂

2. Audrey says:

I really enjoy Somebody’s Mother’s chocolate sauce – makes a good valentine for any moms or chocolate lovers in your life 🙂

3. Great ideas, I planted my thoughts with my husband..I love maple fudge (no nuts) and coconut chocolate clusters..a quiet dinner home and glass of wine..

We love just being home and enjoying music and conversation even when your in your sixties..

Dorothy from grammology
    grammology.com

Hi Dorothy,

Coconut chocolate clusters sound delicious, and they’re one of my favorite chocolates. I’m not a wine drinker at all, but for those who do enjoy wine, a quiet evening at home with a special someone with or without wine and/or chocolates can be very romantic.

4. Boris says:

I am one of those who is anti Valentines Day… Actually, my honey and I don’t buy into most of these retail holidays. We express our love verbally and in many other ways on a daily basis.

We buy cards and flowers when we know that they will actually uplift each other… But I have been known to hustle flowers and make money from those who do buy into this retail day.

Hi Boris,

I enjoy Valentine’s Day, but within reason. I don’t feel it’s wise to “go broke” buying Valentine’s gifts or other holiday gifts throughout the year. We also enjoy making Valentine’s Day every day of each year, showing each other how much they’re loved and appreciated, but it is fun to enjoy the holidays as long as people aren’t spending more than they can or should.

• Dayflyer says:

I totally agree. Sadly Valentines and all those other ‘special’ days have been hijacked by retailers who get you to pay twice as much (or more) than the stuff cost last week.

Daily hugs and kisses, holding hands when we’re out walking, the unexpected gift, whether it’s tangible or just doing something around the house we wouldn’t usually. All these feel like more lasting expressions of love.

The “little things” in marriage really do make a big difference. The special occasion holidays, like Valentine’s Day, can be fun and enjoyable, but if there’s a lot of tension and fighting going on, receiving Valentine’s Day flowers or gifts isn’t going to suddenly make everything alright again at home.

5. selena says:

I feel anything with pinkish or red tone can work wonders for you this valentine. Afterall feelings count more than money.

Selena, red is my favorite color but when it comes to flowers I don’t want red roses. Actually, I don’t want flowers on Valentine’s day at all.

6. wilson says:

Hehe, my loved one has allergic with the Roses, Lin. Hence, I’m only buying chocolates and candies for her on every Valentine.

Hi Wilson,

Valentine’s Day candy and chocolates is always a favorite amongst many women, so you’re lady love won’t be disappointed at all. Good for you!

7. My husband and I don’t usually go out on a date on Valentine’s Day but I always receive See’s chocolates and a bouquet of roses from him every Valentine’s Day. This is the third Valentine’s Day that we did not go out for a date. We just stayed at home and he just cooked for me (yes my hubby is a good cook!). After dinner, we watched a movie at home. We don’t celebrate Valentine’s Day that much because for me and my husband, everyday is Valentine’s Day. If he feel like giving me a bouquet of roses, he will do it even if there’s no special occasion.

Hi Sheena,

We also live our married lives together as if Valentine’s Day is everyday. I actually prefer not to receive Valentine’s Day flowers at Valentines Day, because receiving flowers on Valentine’s Day is expected and rather cliche. I would be happy to receive flowers on pretty much any other day than that day because it would be a real surprise and not something I knew I’d receive.

1. […] oh, you haven’t made your Valentine’s Day plans yet? Not to worry, there are still some creative gift ideas to show your special someone how […]