Tattoo Barbie, Pregnant Barbie, Trashy Barbie-Ban Barbie Once and For All

tattoo-barbie-by-mattel Tattoo Barbie? But of course there’s now a tattoo Barbie! Totally Pierced Barbie is sure to be next on Mattel’s list of upcoming toys coming soon to a toy store near you! It was just a matter of time before Barbie doll maker Mattel would introduce Totally Stylin’ Tattoo Nikki, Barbie’s brunette friend and counterpart, as part of their new spring line of Barbie dolls. Mattel’s excuse for marketing a doll that comes with tattoo stickers is to just help girls “express themselves and be creative” and to “keep up with the changing times” we’re living in.

Tattoo Barbie comes supplied with tattoo stickers for herself and 40 temporary tattoos for Barbie-loving kids to put on themselves, with the help of a water gun for easy application of the tattoos to children’s skin. But wait! This isn’t the first time Mattel has marketed a tattoo Barbie doll, and it’s not the first time there has been a Barbie doll controversy brewing, that leaves parents wondering if this nonsense will ever end.

Why not consider an age-appropriate doll that looks real, which is the Only Hearts Club dolls (and others), as the Only Hearts girls are one of the best Barbie alternative dolls on the market today?

Back in 1999, Mattel introduced its first tattoo Barbie by the name of “Butterfly Art Barbie”, with a large butterfly tattoo covering her mid-drift area, which also came with tattoos for children. Butterfly Art Barbie was yanked from toy store shelves after four months due to a storm of controversy by outraged parents.

The Sexualization of Children

Mattel is either not paying attention or doesn’t care about the growing concern over the sexualization of children in today’s society, and how their continued efforts to market inappropriate toys to children is harming kids. This new Barbie with all her tattoos is a big hit amongst clueless parents, with some stores being completely sold out of the tattoo-stamped doll, while informed parents are furious and demanding that Barbie be banned.

tattoo-barbie It wasn’t long ago that “Pregnant Barbie” was banned and removed from store shelves, although that doll was Barbie’s married friend Midge, pregnant with her second child. Pregnant Barbie comes with a detachable tummy where the doll’s baby should be, and this doll also become a big hit amongst little girls, and parents were all too willing to buy into the targeted marketing of inappropriate toys for their children.

Media efforts to sexualize children and turn young girls into little Lolita’s is very real in our society, and toy makers and marketers continue to target young girls and boys with their ideas of fun toys for kids, regardless of the harmful effects brought on by inappropriate clothes and toys made for children.

Parents, if you really want your daughter to grow up dressing and acting like a two-cent skank, keep on buying your little girls street-walker Bratz dolls, push-up bras, thongs, “eye candy” panties, mini or micro-mini skirts, sequined crop-tops and other hooker-style “fashionable” outfits, and the trouble you’re having with your daughter will be unlike anything you could have imagined.

Go ahead, turn a blind eye and claim that Tattoo Barbie, Pregnant Barbie, Bratz dolls and the inappropriate clothes and toys you’re buying for your kids, or the trashy stuff you’re allowing others to give your kids, doesn’t have any effect on the clothes teens and adults choose to wear as they get older or how your kids turn out. But then again, even very young children as young as three or four years old are being allowed to wear these types of clothes. Be forewarned: You shall reap what you sow.

At least some of us are paying close attention to the crap manufacturers and marketers are constantly trying to shove down our throats, while they continue to line their own pockets with your hard-earned money, while at the same time your kids are suffering the harmful effects of the sexualization of children in society today.

28 Responses to “Tattoo Barbie, Pregnant Barbie, Trashy Barbie-Ban Barbie Once and For All”

1. Geez says:

Let me start by saying that I bought my 7 year old tattoo barbie and she has not yet once asked me for a real tattoo lol.

I am not “clueless” as the article states. I teach my daughter that dressing in a provocative manner (like the Bratz dolls) will get her the wrong kind of attention and I dont let her nor will I as she gets to older, dress in a manner which would allow the wrong kind of attention.

Why cant the people who dont like these dolls just laugh it off and NOT buy it? OR how about this one….why not be honest with your kids and guide them and use these toys as a tool for their questions. (like do tattoos hurt, or telling them that Barbie is married so married people can have babies)
    Why shelter them to the point that they may go behind your back and get a tattoo or experiment with sex without telling you

I think that there is times to sheild your child and times not to. A doll is a doll. Kids should have a chance to learn that. If you dont like the way a doll is dressed then express that to your child when they say they want it and try and find something that you both can agree on instead spending time writing the company trying to get it off the shelves.

And by the way why is it so bad that kids have temporary tattoos, but its ok that Tanner, Barbies dog can eat his own S**T?

2. I agree with you on half of the issue. I have a fiance that has many tattoos and I don’t think a tattoo barbie is expliciting any kind of sex. I think that expressing yourself with temporary tattoos is NOT a bad thing. I don’t mind if my son wants to look like his dad. Now the pregnant barbie and maybe the crackwhore barbie need to not be released, but I think that tattoos should be recognized as art!

John, tattoos in and of themselves are not bad, and neither are “temporary tattoos”. A couple of my own grown children have tattoos and one son is a professional tattoo artist. I have no problem with people choosing to get tattoos for themselves, as adults. But for marketers to be targeting children with toys and products that push for more adult type choices such as whether or not to get a tattoo, that’s entirely different.

4. Le Schmidt says:

I have another perspective. I think pregnant Barbie was about the desexualization of children. “Barbie” is about sex appeal, with her looks of perfection that can cause young girls to have an unhealthy view and expectation of their bodies. We see this in magazines, media, and hollywood. Pregnant Barbie “bucks” that body image, with one that most women experience. One that is the prelude to body image issues, the after childbirth body. I am just sad they didn’t make a second line of her dolls with 10 extra bounds and stretch marks!!! I suppose they could have just made baby and mom, but their marketed intent at the time was to blow the “body image” issue out of the water. Funny they very people they wanted to impress were the ones which rejected their idea.

Hi Le,

I can respect your opposite opinion of the pregnant Barbie, but I do disagree. Marketers are simply out of the control with their tactics towards children, and I’m just glad I’m one of many people who are broadcasting the problems. I would imagine that the only way to really get the attention of the people responsible for marketing crud to our kids is to hit them in their wallets – don’t buy the junk and maybe just maybe…they’ll stop making and marketing crap like this to our kids.

• Lauren says:

I think being upset about a pregnant barbie is a little ridiculous. Pregnancy is a natural part of life and she has a husband and a child already, so it’s not like they’re promoting irresponsible sexual activity to children. Are you guys really so uptight that you can’t answer simple questions your children might have? Wouldn’t you rather they learned from their parents at a younger age, than waited until they got older and “learned” from friends and media?

5. Miguel says:

Is this a case of marketers pushing consumers or consumers pushing marketers? I do not believe that these kids are out buying these for themselves. If there were no market for them, they would go unsold.

6. Jennifer says:

I agree that the tattoo barbie is going a little too far, but I certainly don’t see an issue with Pregnant Barbie. It’s not like Pregnant Barbie comes alone in the box with stripper heels on and a crack pipe in one hand; it’s portraying a healthy family relationship with a husband and wife and a healthy looking body. The baby pops out of a harmless area (the stomach) and I think it’s an effective tool to teach kids about where babies come from. I think it would actually help teach kids that babies come from committed couples, and would help promote greater morality.

If you really want to look at something that’s corrupting kids, look no further than TV, movies and internet, which I’m sure most of the outraged parents vying against Barbie would have no problem allowing their children watching as much and whatever they want of it. I see more kids learning bad habits from going online and going to R-rated movies with their parents than they ever did from Barbie.

7. laura says:

just because people have tattoos does not make them a “two scent skank” or a whore, or a slut. calm down.
    If you dont like Barbie, dont buy Barbie. I had hundreds of them growing up… skateboard Barbie (heaven forbid) Butterfly Princess Barbie (wearing more material than humanly possible) Beach Barbie (:O not swimwear…. cover yourself woman!) and i have been in a relationship for seven years and im only 20. I notice the tattoos are not pin up girls or skulls or guns…. they are mostly of glittery butterflies and hearts. because they are pretty and she is a plastic doll who kids want to dress up. I remember colouring my barbies hair pink with highlighter… i managed not to turn into a anarchist. Its not about Barbies wardrobe, its about what values you teach your kids. This is the real problem: bad parenting.

8. Tattoo's by Jah says:

listen as a parent and a tattoo artist i see nothing wrong with a barbie that gives her the ideal that she does not have to be a picture perfect person. i dont really like the idea that a pregnant Barbie is bad either. For those people who have kids who still think the stork drops a baby off, or that babies come from belly’s. people need to understand that when you hide things from your children. stop keeping your children from learning at a young age, the more you shelter them as kids the more they are going to get into when they are older! my daughter is the most respectful child you could meet, i allow her to be expressive to a point and when she asks questions i give her answers in away that are age appropriate. same as i would let her play with a tattooed barbie, then in a few years play with a pregnant barbie. i have read comments about this or that most negative in nature. people yes be concerned what your kids see and play with, but do not shelter them from the world, people like you make me sick. i prolly have more of a strong moral backing for my child than most of you ever will have, and guess what i would let her play with these dolls. i would rather her play with a pregnant doll then come home pregnant. hate a tattoo barbie but i bet at least half of you have let your child get a temp tattoo. wow be real here people….

9. Kat says:

Hi, I grew up with barbies, like most other kids. Some of the things I’ve read here in the comments and in the above article have really upset me.
    First of all, I have no problem at all with a tattooed Barbie. I had the original one when I was little, not because my mom was a “clueless parent”, as you put it, but because she simply didn’t have a problem with it. My mother is essentially covered in tattoos, though in a long sleeve shirt and some jeans, you could honestly never tell. She’s my favorite person in the world, and we have a relationship that is much closer than most mother-daughter relationships this day in age. Being that this is so, I’ll carry right on to my next point.

“Tattoo Barbie is bad enough, along with pregnant Barbie, but ‘crack whore barbie’ is just way over the top.” This is from the comments. I find this offensive due to the ‘tattoo Barbie is bad enough’. With my mother covered in tattoos, I have had to defend her many times growing up. We can hardly go to the store on a summer day (when she is clearly not wearing long sleeves) without at least one person gawking or glaring. Over the years, there have even been copious rude comments aimed toward her, telling her that she is ‘trashy’, asking “which trailer park [she is] from”, and so on. I find it extremely close minded to assume that all people, women especially (being that they are targeted the most), who have tattoos or, for that matter, flamboyant hair colors or facial piercings, are trashy, filth, or just plain “bad”. My mother is one of the kindest people I have ever met, to everyone she meets. Not every blond is a ditz, not every raven-haired girl is ‘goth’, and not every woman with tattoos is trashy or unkind. I currently have 3 tattoos, all with written consent (due to the act that I got most of them in the span of my 17th year), and so far I haven’t had the problems my mother has, probably due to the fact that mine are less flamboyant due to the fact they aren’t colored, as well as the fact that they are smaller tattoos that are hard to see from afar (i.e. “Can’t rain all the time” on my left wrist, the tree of life on my right, and a dove on my rib-cage in remembrance of my great uncle who passed away), but it still offends me to read things that demote tattoos or tattoo culture. With the current generation, tattoos are much more prevalent in society, and a tattooed doll should not be considered any more impressionable than the countless people on the streets or on television that have them. Besides, even if they are making your child want tattoos, you should also remember that they are clearly far too young to go and get one without consent (or even with consent under a certain age) and that young children also want things like unicorns that are clearly not going to happen in any way, shape, or form. By the time they are old enough to get tattoos, they will have either changed their mind, or they will have the required intellect to think about the decision before acting on it.

“Go ahead, turn a blind eye and claim that Tattoo Barbie, Pregnant Barbie, Bratz dolls and the inappropriate clothes and toys you’re buying for your kids, or the trashy stuff you’re allowing others to give your kids, doesn’t have any effect on the clothes teens and adults choose to wear as they get older or how your kids turn out.”
    This quote, straight from the article with absolutely no revisions by myself, offends me as well. I don’t know, I may be the only one who is unimpressionable, but growing up, I had a plethora of Bratz dolls, as well as the aforementioned tattoo Barbie, and the way I dress and act in no way reflects these dolls. I agree that they are highly sexualized and should be in much more modest wear, but that doesn’t mean I plan on dressing that way. As for behavior, I, like every other adolescent, got into my fair share of bad situations, but I was never fighting or causing violence, trafficking drugs, sneaking into bars, or anything of that sort. I just turned 18, and I am already the assistant manager of a local vintage store, I’m opening a business in which I refurbish, if you will, old band t-shirts and things (because that is extremely popular around my area), I’m about to travel the country, I was already intelligible enough in the fourth grade to help my dad with his college homework, and I’m honestly one of the nicest and most open-minded people you will ever meet. Maybe my mother is just a “clueless parent” to you, but clearly – even by going with things you’ve unreasonably condemned – she’s done a much better job at raising her child then some of you “informed parents”, because she wouldn’t LET me act the way that you’re suggesting these dolls make children act. I respect and love my mother, and even as a legal adult, I am still terrified to talk back to her, because she would whoop me right to the Mississippi and back. The problem in this case isn’t the surroundings that you cannot change, it is how you raise your kids to behave and what morals you choose to bestow upon them.

So please, think before you judge. Thanks. x

1. […] Parents are looking for an alternative doll for their little girls to enjoy, especially since Barbie dolls and Bratz dolls, Dora the Explorer (amongst others), have been “updating” the clothes these dolls are […]