Planning a wedding is fun and exciting, that’s for sure. Brides and grooms begin searching for information on how to plan a wedding, and start looking for wedding planning websites like The Knot Wedding Shop for help in crossing off their wedding planning checklist of everything they’ll need for their wedding, reception and honeymoon.
Shopping for the wedding gown and tuxedos, choosing the flowers, selecting bridesmaids and groomsmen, choosing the wedding cake and favors, wedding dance songs for the father/daughter dance, enjoying the fun parties and wedding gifts couples receive, all in anticipation of getting married to your sweetheart.
This “wedding planning checklist” offers some ideas about many of the things you will need to do in preparation for your upcoming wedding. These are only ideas of things to consider, to be used as a wedding planning guide, and some things may not apply to you. Some items on this wedding planning list apply to the bride while others are typical responsibilities of the groom. In order not become overwhelmed, work as a team to complete the wedding planner checklist before your wedding.
Wedding Planning Checklist
- Discuss the style, budget, and financing with your FiancÃ© and ALL parents, or anyone else who is expected to contribute to paying for your wedding, reception and honeymoon.
- Start your Free Personalized Wedding Website
- Buy a wedding planner
- Find your perfect wedding invitation. Don’t order Wedding Invitations before checking InvitationConsultants.com.
- Decide the wedding date and time
- Style or type of wedding desired (traditional, modern, big or small, etc.)
- Choose and buy a wedding dress, shoes, veil, undergarments – fittings and alterations take time. Win a Free Wedding Dress!
- Decide who will be in the wedding party-number of bridesmaids, groomsmen, flower girl and ring bearer
- Wedding and reception music desired
- Location or venue for the wedding ceremony and reception
- Choose the color scheme for your wedding – Red Wedding Gowns are very popular!
- Wedding vows – will you write your own wedding vows or use traditional vows?
- Choose a wedding photographer and videographer
- Select a florist for the wedding and reception
- Decide on wedding and reception music: DJ, live band or taped music
- Choose a minister or judge to perform the wedding ceremony
- Select the location for your rehearsal dinner and time
- Decide the reception format: buffet, sit-down dinner, pot-luck, etc.
- Choose who will make your wedding cake(s) – taste tests are very important
- Begin looking at Honeymoon Destinations with your FiancÃ© or visit a professional travel agent
7 to 9 months prior
- Begin writing wedding vows
- Make a first draft of the wedding invitation list
- Decide on the wedding ceremony music (prelude, processional, solos, recessional, postlude, etc.)
- Choose your wedding invitations
- Select your attendants and ask if they will accept being in the wedding party
- Meet with minister/judge/officiant to discuss ceremony
- Order and/or buy bride’s attendant’s apparel and accessories
- Choose and reserve mens formal wear or tuxedos – get their exact measurements
- Decide the rehearsal dinner menu and reception menu
- Complete your bridal registry and what items will be on the registry. Register with at least two well-known bridal registries
- Choose poetry or scripture readings for ceremony, and ask possible ceremony readers if they’ll accept the responsibility
- Finalize the guest list for the wedding and reception
- Choose a professional Calligrapher to address the wedding invitations or do it yourself
- Decide if roses will be given to the mothers before, during or at the end of the ceremony
- Meet with wedding florist to choose flowers and accessories for the ceremony and reception such as pew bows, candles, candleabras, etc.
- Chauffers, limousines, horse-drawn carriage, etc
- Buy flower girl basket
- Buy pillow for ring-bearer
- Plan and finalize details with pianist, organist, DJ or other music entertainment
- Make/print directions and map for rehearsal dinner, wedding ceremony and reception
- Buy/order wedding favors for your guests
- Choose Wedding/Reception decorations such as candles, flowers, center pieces, balloons, arches, etc.
- Decide the flavor(s) and style of wedding cake and groom’s cake
2 to 3 months prior
- Start memorizing your wedding vows if necessary
- Decide how your attendants will process and stand at the ceremony
- Choose your “something borrowed, something blue, something old, and something new” to wear on your wedding day
- Choose the color and length of bridesmaids dresses; color and style of hosiery and shoes for bridesmaids
- Decide where bride, groom and attendants will get dressed for the ceremony
- Buy or order wedding invitations and programs
- Buy disposable cameras for reception tables
- Buy or order birdseed packets (if allowed) or bubbles, etc.
- Buy wedding ceremony guest book and pen
- Buy wedding cake knife, napkins, throw/keepsake garters etc for reception
- Finalize reception rental items: candelabra, table linens, canopy, tables/chairs, etc.
- Buy Postage stamps for invitations, response cards, and thank-you notes
- Schedule/confirm makeup artist/hair/nail appointments for wedding
- Get complete addresses of everyone on invitation list
- Finalize catering, bakery, florist, formal wear/tuxedo measurements
- Get marriage license with FiancÃ©
- Have final fitting of wedding gown and bridesmaids dresses.
- Contact newspaper regarding wedding announcement
- Show final program to officiant and organist to check for accuracy
- Plan rehearsal and rehearsal dinner.
- Confirm all transportation for all events (including honeymoon)
- Prepare all the necessary forms for name address changes on social security card, credit cards, bank accounts, post office, driver’s license, etc.
2 to 3 weeks prior
- Pay all balances due and remaining security deposits
- It’s time for the groom’s hair appointment
- Affix poems to disposable cameras
- Have final meeting with: florist, caterer, photographer/videographer, musicians, rental services, chauffer/transportation, travel agent
- Confirm final nail/hair appointments, hotel reservations for wedding night
1 week prior
- Pick up wedding gown and veil, if necessary
- Wedding party men (groom/fathers/ushers/groomsmen) to pick up tuxedos and shoes
- Double check rehearsal dinner plans
- Give wedding day schedule to all at rehearsal dinner
- Fill out first page of guest book
- Give final guest count to reception venue location and/or caterer
- Finish packing for honeymoon, buy traveler’s checks or foreign currency if needed
1 day prior
- Take favors, disposable cameras, centerpieces, cake knife and server, toasting glasses, CD’s, and birdseed roses to reception hall.
- Bride and attendants go to nail appointment
Morning of Wedding
- Bride, maid-of-honor and attendants hair appointment
- Give groom’s wedding band to Maid of Honor and bride’s wedding ring to Best Man prior to ceremony.
- Tell everyone you don’t want to hear about any mishaps or problems! Try to relax and enjoy the whole day. Keep yourself OFF of any to-do list items if any are remaining to be done. Designate to your attendants; that’s what they’re for.