How I Met My Husband – Where Did You Meet Your Husband/Wife?

How and where did you meet your husband, wife, boyfriend or girlfriend? When I tell people how I met my husband, I am sometimes amazed by the shocked expression on their faces, especially when I tell them that I met my husband on an online dating website.

Online dating has been around for so many years now that it seems odd that hearing that I met my husband on an online dating site would still create reactions of disbelief and shock. What is so bad about meeting and dating someone you met online? What is the big deal about online dating?

Baby boomer online dating, commonly referred to as online dating after 40 or 50 years of age, is on the increase according to statistical reports. I was happily amused to discover so many senior online dating sites that cater to single seniors seeking companionship, activity partners, pen pals or their soulmate for seniors living in the USA, Canada, England, Australia, South America, Europe and Asia.

I was curious to find out what the statistics were for online dating to see how many success stories there are of couples who met online that actually lead to marriage, but I was unable to locate trustworthy and reliable results of any real studies done. Then again, a successful online relationship doesn’t have to result in marriage, especially if adult men and women are only looking for friendship and not long-term relationships.

Finding out how many dating sites there are online came as a surprise to me, since there are several hundred online dating websites and many that I had never heard of until now. Some of my friends and acquaintances online and offline met their husband or wife online, and another is hoping to find her future husband online since hearing about my dating experience.

#1 Site For Love - Match.com® Official Site
An interesting dating trend I discovered is the number of people who began dating online that actually met on sites like Facebook, Craigslist, Twitter and other social networking websites. I don’t know if people are still creating personal ads in newspaper classifieds anymore in hopes of finding love, but I just don’t see how “free” sites like Craigslist could come close to being ranked anywhere near the top of the list of places to find someone wonderful to date, let alone marry.

Note: It’s just my personal opinion but when I think of free online dating sites where Craigslist might be included in a list of places to find Mr or Ms Right, I tend to add “freakozoid”, “crackpot” and “weirdo” as future last name possibilities for the lovelorn female. If I were to create a list of the most common online dating mistakes women or men make when dating someone online, besides using photos that don’t even come close to looking like the real person, “free” sites like Craigslist would be on that list.

Listen, it shouldn’t matter where you meet someone to fall in love with and get married if marriage is what you want, because there are just as many jerks, jerkettes and morons offline as there are online. In my opinion, the best places to meet single men or women to date are not always at church, the grocery store freezer section, the library or singles bars, and the benefits of online dating far outweigh any possible disadvantages.

Many of the “old-fashioned” dating rules still hold true, and finding a date on an online dating website is an acceptable way for singles to meet their future husband or wife, plus Christian singles can meet and date like-minded men or women on Christian dating sites too. Some online dateing websites are completely free, while others are paid memberships, with many offering free trials for users to decide if dating online meets their needs.

Most Popular Online Dating Web Sites

3 Months for the Price of 1
Chemistry.com is offering three months for the price of one at Chemistry.com and was launched by Match.com in 2006 in order to bring together independent-thinking, confident, diverse singles and individuals that are serious about finding a meaningful relationship. Based on the research of renowned biological anthropologist Dr. Helen Fisher found in the book Why Him Why Her, including the highly popular why him why her free personality test by Dr Fisher, Chemistry.com is dedicated to helping members get the conversation started to determine if there’s Chemistry between couples.

Match.com USA pioneered the Internet dating industry and is the most recognized dating service worldwide. As a leader in the dating industry, Match.com continues to redefine the way single men and single women meet, flirt, date and fall in love, proving time and again that you can make love happen through online dating and that lasting relationships are possible. Match.com: Everyone knows someone who met on Match.com. – I know several people who met on Match and are happily married!

MatchMaker.com is a popular online personals website for more mature audiences, generally people who are 30 years of age or older and are interested in finding long-term, serious relationships and for those who are marriage minded. Yes you can find love again…seriously…at Matchmaker.com because I met my husband on Matchmaker! MatchMaker provides a quality online dating experience, plus an entire suite of communication tools to make a connection, expert dating tips, advice and client success stories like us!

Yahoo! Personals 7 Day FREE Trial offer is a great deal for anyone looking to find love online and if I had known about the Yahoo dating service years ago, I may have considered signing up. This online site helps men and women find compatible dating partners, whether you are wanting just a few brief dates or a long-term relationship. Out of the dating sites mentioned thus far, I would most likely choose one from the top 3 listed above before this one, but it’s still worth a good long look.

eHarmony.com is one of the most popular dating sites online today, with over 20 million registered online users, and registration is simple and easy. The eHarmony member database is an ethnically, racially, and religiously diverse group of individuals of all ages. Popular demographic groups include Christian, Asian, Jewish, 30+, Black, Hispanic and Senior singles. eHarmony offers a free personality test too to help singles find their most compatible matches with their “compatibility matching system”,  and a recent Harris poll revealed that 239 people a day get married who met on eHarmony!

PerfectMatch.com has an interesting FREE compatibility test for those that love personality tests to find the person they are most compatible with. Perfect Match is recognized as a leading online dating service to find your perfect match for singles looking to find their special someone. Perfect Match has received a lot of high-visibility media coverage on television shows such as Dancing with the Stars, LIVE with Regis and Kelly, Today, Dr Phil, NBC’s Science of Love Special – plus being featured in major motion pictures Must Love Dogs, Failure to Launch and Superman Returns. Remember, online dating for seniors or mature men and women has helped make Perfect Match the best online dating site for senior singles with an incredible Buy 1 Month, Get 1 FREE special offer.

Date.com calls itself the “best free online dating service” that has helped “thousands” of online single girls and guys, men and women, meet other singles who may be looking for friendships, love, romance and marriage. This free dating site was established in 1997 and offers free online personals, plus singles chat rooms, live web video and audio instant messaging. The catchy advertising slogan “Love is waiting so you don’t have to. Join Date.com for free!” seems to be a good fit for anyone wanting to try online dating for free, low cost or on a free trial basis.

So, now you know how I met my husband and that I met him online. How and where did you meet your husband or wife? Do you have an online dating success story to share? Did you meet your husband or wife online?

View Photos of Singles at Match.com

(Photo by Getty)

18 Responses to “How I Met My Husband – Where Did You Meet Your Husband/Wife?”

1. Peter says:

I met my wife online as well! The shock – the horror!

People seem to think it’s weird – but for us it was a great way to get to know each other before we actually met. We met each other on a Christian singles site, and were able to make sure that we had the most important things in common before we even met. When we did meet it was with a group of friends, so it was completely safe.

It’s becoming more and more common to meet someone online! Pretty soon people will be shocked to hear you didn’t meet your spouse online!

Peter, it’s great that you met your wife online! Christian singles sites are very popular places to meet someone too. Many dating websites, if not most, have sections and categories for Christians in particular.

Meeting someone online has become very common and for very good reasons. Good for you and your wife!

2. Rob O. says:

Ours was a whirlwind courtship – Dede began working in the IT department I worked in just after Thanksgiving, we talked some at the department’s Christmas party a few weeks later, went on our first date on Feb. 3rd, and were married on Aug. 3rd – exactly 6 months later. That was nearly 14 years ago!

Wow Rob! It isn’t very often that I hear about whirlwind courtships like you and Dede had. I love the fact that you remember the date of your very first date you two went on! Congrats on being a success story of people who can meet, date for a few months, get married and stay married for so many years.

3. Dr. Dar says:

I met my husband through match.com – amazing experience for sure. I agree with you that it does not matter where you find your husband or wife – but craigslist or other free based classifieds makes me freak out too. I prefer do do business with experts, people who know their industry and specialize in matching and connecting people – one because it is safer, your identity is protected, and because they know what they are doing. I certainly did not do a good job on my own having has many failed attempts at choosing Mr. Right. Match got it right. Thanks for your post and I look forward to visiting often.

Dr, when I hear about people looking on Craigslist for someone to date or even marry, I scratch my head in amazement. The chances of making a real connection with someone is greatly improved for people using online dating websites to find a good match for them.

4. Baby Boomers are utilizing the internet for dating more than any other age group. Some of them report great success while others have dismal experiences. As a psychotherapist who works with life transitions, I offer these thoughts to help improve your success.
    Baby Boomers have different goals and needs than the younger folks using dating sites because they are in a different life stage. Understanding these differences can make your experience of midlife dating more enjoyable.
    1. Boomers have had prior love relationships—usually at least one marriage. This changes both perception and expectation.
    2. Boomers have built a life and are looking for someone with whom they can share it.
    3. Rather than being “upwardly mobile,” Boomers usually are enjoying the fruits of their youth.
    4. Boomers have developed strong belief systems—what they value, what they believe and who they vote for.
    5.Boomers are looking for someone to share the hard times as well as the fun times. They know that life is short, people get sick and die, pensions can disappear and the unexpected happens.
    By taking sometime to explore what kind of relationship they REALLY want at this stage in life, Baby Boomers are less likely to set themselves up for disappointment.
    Donna F. Ferber, LPC, LADC
    Author “Profileactics: A Guide for the Prevention of Ill-Conceived Personal Ads

Donna, I appreciate your thoughtful comment and recommendations for baby boomers and seniors online dating habits and desires. Many web sites simply talk about how seniors are using the internet for basic email or social networking sites like Facebook, but don’t give older men and women the reality of just how many seniors are going online to find companionship and/or long term relationships or marriage. Thanks much!

5. Todd Morris says:

Hi Lin,

I just got off the phone (Skype actually) with Ana. Today, Jan 2nd was our 3 year anniversary. We met, you guessed it, on Match.com

lol, although sometimes we tell people we met at Walmart (I can’t imagine why that would sound better), since that is where we met in person for the 1st time … doing school supply shopping.

I think online dating is great thing. I only wish such a thing had existed in 1991 … maybe I would have made a better choice on my first marriage :-)

I’m happy to say that I know nothing about the current situation, with online dating choices. But I do remember one bit of advice I would give to anybody … especially woman …

If someone is too cheap to pay for the “premium” membership on any of these sites, that should be a big CLUE.

just sayin.

Todd

Congratulations to you both Todd! Nowadays, and from the kinds of messages/emails I get, 3 years of marriage is a long time lol.

I have agree with you about people who choose to not pay for a membership on any online dating site. It should definitely clue in anyone looking to find and meet their future husband or wife – the ones who are only on the sites for “trial” memberships to just “check it out” are probably not the kinds of people you’d want to meet anyway. Then there are the loser types, primarily the married men or woman who are looking to find people to cheat on their spouse with.

6. Eric Nernberg says:

I think a lot of people meet their spouses online. The internet has become such a huge part of our lives and it’s only natural that it would be used to bring people together.

7. Christian Dating Online says:

My wife and I met online. We exchanged three emails in the space of half an hour and then I invited her out to dinner the following night. We were engaged 15 days later, and married 5 months after that.
    We have been extremely happy for the last three and a half years. We are both in our early 60′s and had both experienced years of dreadful marriages and then years of loneliness.
    So what is the key to a happy marriage? It is similarity in thinking and feelings (harmony) and a decision to maintain that harmony always.
    Opposites attract, there is no doubt about that, but a person soon becomes tired of someone who is so different from themselves especially when the pressures of life come upon their relationship.
    We think compatibility helps couples to cope but similarity leads to a much closer relationship.

8. Mark says:

I met my wife through a Christian dating site and we were recently married. Meeting for us was even more of a challenge since we both are from different countries (Australia is my home continent and hers is Indonesia). So not only did we have to communicate and travel some distances but also had the added bonus of arranging immigration paperwork. The whole process from making contact online to the wedding took 2 years.

9. I’ve been searching online for a very long time. But I not have a significant success with it. It might be the fact that most women in my country don’t take online dating services seriously and most of them don’t bother to put pictures or a small bio.
    To be honest I hope I will meet someone online since writing is one of my best ways of expressing myself.

10. Liz says:

I am thinking about writing a book about how people met online. Was just wondering if there is anyone out there who would be willing to share their story with me. This is just a thought, so still in the beginning stages. Just looking for interest now. You don’t need to share your story, yet :)

Thanks

1. [...] who Jake will choose to be Mrs. Pavelka at the final rose ceremony of The Bachelor season 14, of if online dating sites will be his next [...]

2. [...] Dr. Helen Fisher’s personality test results appear to prove that people do not necessarily fall in love with people of the same personality types, despite the common wisdom that we should find dates that share our interests. Instead, individuals fall head over heels for those who complement their personality type and who reflect their type. [...]

3. [...] a good or bad rating to make the hotel/motel appear to be ranked better than it truly deserves. My husband looked at a few inexpensive hotels in and around Chicago and nearby suburbs on Google Maps with [...]